We are committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with Republic Act 10173 (“Data Privacy Act of 2012”), its implementing rules and regulations, and other applicable laws of the Republic of the Philippines. We assure you that any information you communicate to us is protected. The Bank employs a combination of organizational, physical, procedural and technical security measures to secure your personal information and sensitive personal information (collectively referred hereto as “personal data”).
Definition of Terms:
- "CHINA BANK GROUP": refers to offices, branches, subsidiaries, and affiliates (Chinabank Insurance Brokers, Inc., China Bank Securities Corporation, China Bank Capital Corporation, China Bank Savings, Inc., China Bank Properties and Computer Center, Inc., and Manulife-China Bank Life Assurance Corporation, among others) of China Banking Corporation
- "PERSONAL DATA": refers to any personal, sensitive personal and privileged information that can be traced to a unique individual
When and What Personal Information We May Collect
When you apply for, avail or use the Bank’s products or services, interact with our employees and/or authorized representatives, visit our premises, and/or access our phonebanking, and/or access our online systems and mobile applications, the Bank may collect your personal data, such as but not limited to your:
- Personal information – name, gender, nationality, civil status, contact details, residential address, date of birth, mobile number, email address, identification document and its details, employment / business details, educational information, mother’s maiden name, medical information, tax and other government issued identification numbers, and other information that may be used to identify you
- Banking information and financial details such as assets, income, expenses, payments and transaction history and account activities including dealings and interactions with third parties
- Specimen signature, biometrics, voice recordings, video call recordings, and cctv footages
- Information collected arising from your activities, preferences, behavior when you access our website, avail our products and services, use our electronic and alternative channels (e.g., mobile application, online banking, automated teller machines, cash accept machines)
- Insurance information
- Your investment risk profile, investment objectives, knowledge and experience, risk tolerance, liquidity profile
- Your personal opinions arising from participating in surveys and feedback
- Other electronic data or information relating to you such as IP addresses, cookies, activity logs, online identifiers, geographic and location data through your usage of our products and services or as part of our delivery to you
- Other personal data authorized and mandated by law to be collected such as but not limited to Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001 (AMLA), Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Circulars, etc.
If you provide us with any personal data relating to a third party, you represent to us that you have obtained the consent of such third party to provide us with his/her personal data for the relevant purposes.
Use and Processing of Your Personal Data
Your personal data may be processed, transferred, and disclosed by us and/or members of the China Bank Group, both electronically and manually in connection with any of the following purposes, such as but not limited to:
A. Take-Up / Availment and Improvement of Products and Services
- Allow you to avail of and for us to offer the Bank’s products, services and banking facilities, including the provision of updates on changes to products, services and banking facilities (whether made available by us or through us) including any additions, expansions, suspensions and replacements of or to such products, services and banking facilities and their terms and conditions;
- Verify your identity before providing our products or services, or responding to any of your queries and feedback;
- Facilitate our research, planning and analysis to improve our products and services and marketing strategies;
- Conducting credit and negative information checks, screenings or due diligence checks, including skiptracing, asset and property search and/or verification activities, evaluating your credit worthiness, valuation or appraisal of collateral/property, and title verification as part of your applications or transactions to minimize risks or frauds or as may be required under applicable law or regulation;
- Statistical and risk analysis, data analytics and client profiling;
- Profiling, data analysis, behavioural modelling, and market research in order to understand the needs, preferences, market trends, for the purpose of reviewing, developing, improving, and/or recommending suitable products and services;
B. Maintenance and Service of Account
- The conduct of the Bank’s everyday business to process and assess your instructions, requests, transactions, maintenance and management of your account/s, including processing, settlement, clearing or reporting on such instructions, requests and transactions, sending you notices, billings, statements, and other such documents necessary for the continued use of our products and services;
- Performance of daily technological and operational functions, communications technology services including updates and automation of the systems of the China Bank Group;
- Creation and maintenance of business and risk-related models;
- In connection with performance of our duties and obligations when seeking consultancy or professional advice, including legal advice;
- Administering benefits or entitlements in connection with our banking relationship with you or arising from your participation in events, campaigns, or marketing promotions by us or in conjunction with our partners. This will include the administration of loyalty, rewards programmes, and/or sending gifts and award;
- As part of service fulfillment to process an outsourced activity of the Bank; in such case, the Bank has conducted its due diligence in the selection of the third-party service providers, executed Data Outsourcing and Service Level Agreements, implemented risk mitigation processes, and conducts periodic review of their performance;
- Addressing your inquiries, concerns or complaints, and providing product and/or service-related support
- Managing the business operations of the Bank including without limitation to business continuity planning, risk management, safety and security, system enhancement, warehousing and retrieval of data
C. Audit / Legal / Regulatory Obligations
- To meet regulatory, legal, compliance and audit requirements, including our internal policies such as performing Know-Your-Customer (KYC) examination/investigation or client identification related activities;
- For the management of financial crime;
- For reporting purposes which cover financial reporting, regulatory reporting, management reporting, risk management (including monitoring credit exposures), audit and record keeping purposes;
- For the detection prevention investigation, and prosecution of fraud or crime;
- Complying with laws and regulations governing our products and services (e.g., AMLA, BSP Circulars, Credit Information Corporation (CIC) Circulars, etc.);
D. Other Obligations
- Any other uses for which you have given consent;
- Any other purpose relating to any of the purposes above and/or;
- All other purposes as allowed in the banking industry practice, businesses of the China Bank Group, and by law or regulation.
USE OF DATA FOR MARKETING ACTIVITIES
This is when we use your personal data to recommend to you products or services, including special offers, promotions, contests, or entitlements that may be of interest to you or for which you may be eligible. We will use various modes of communication including but not limited to electronic mail, direct mailers, short message service, telephone calls, and other mobile messaging services to advise you of the recommended product and/or service.
We may use your contact details and personal data such as your demographic information, the products and services that you are interested in, transaction behavior, portfolio information, location data, social media data, analytics, and information from third parties when we market to you.
At the same time, we may continue to send you messages as part of our ongoing relationship with you and nothing in this section shall vary or supersede the terms and conditions that govern our relationship with you.
The Bank may from time-to-time share, transfer or disclose your personal data to conduct any of the purposes set out above to any of the following:
- China Bank Group
- Any person who you hold a joint account with, or who is authorized to give instructions for you, or who gives (or may give) security for your loans and other obligations.
The Bank will not share your personal data with third parties unless necessary for the above-mentioned purposes and unless you give your consent thereto. However, you acknowledge that the Bank may nonetheless process personal data without consent as may be allowed and required by pertinent laws and regulations, legitimate interests of the Bank and/or in order to fulfil your contract with the Bank, as may be applicable, and that where the basis of the processing is consent, you acknowledge that the withdrawal of your consent may prevent you from availing of the Bank’s products and services. Such third parties may include:
- our accredited third parties/vendors, or other persons or entities that we may reasonably select for the purposes of the Bank’s conduct of everyday business and/or to fulfil the services and/or provision of products that you wish the Bank and our partners / third parties to provide you
- personal information processors
- credit reporting or credit reference agencies
- credit protection provider
- guarantee institutions
- debt collection agencies
- government agencies or offices, such as the BSP, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), CIC, Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation (PDIC) and Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) as mandated by pertinent laws and regulations; Land Registration Authority, Register of Deeds, Land Transportation Offices, and other local government units and instrumentalities as necessary for due diligence or for purposes of asset and property verification
- private regulatory organizations
- any third party who we may transfer our business or assets to
- partners and providers of reward, co-branding or loyalty programs, charities, or non-profit organisations
- social media advertising partners
- any other third parties who you have consented to us sharing your data with
- other financial institutions and other outsourced service providers engaged by the Bank
Such data sharing activities shall be done in a manner that is compliant with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and under an obligation of confidentiality.
We may also share your anonymised data with other parties not listed above. By doing so, you will not be identifiable from this data.
The Bank does not and will not sell personal data to any third party. All of the Bank’s engagements with third parties shall be fully compliant with the Bank’s obligation of confidentiality imposed on it under applicable agreements and/or terms and conditions or any applicable laws that govern its relationship with you.
PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Bank enforces data privacy and information security policies. It strives to maintain the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your personal information by implementing physical, technological, and procedural, and organizational security measures. The Bank assures that the access to your personal data is restricted only to qualified and authorized personnel who hold your information with strict confidentiality. The Bank trains its employees to properly handle your data. The Bank requires its third parties to protect your personal data aligned with the Bank’s own security standards.
Data Storage and Retention
The Bank retains personal data only in accordance with the operational need and in compliance with legal and regulatory purposes. The Bank’s retention and disposal policy is in accordance with BSP regulations. Generally, the Bank shall only retain your data for at least five (5) years after the processing relevant to the purpose has been terminated. Nonetheless, the Bank may retain, process, update and/or share your personal data for as long necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for which it was collected and such other purposes that you may have consented to from time to time, or as required or permitted by pertinent laws and regulations, whichever comes later.
Relative to the above, the Bank may retain your personal data for as long as necessary to provide information when required to do so in accordance with RA 1405 (Secrecy of Bank Deposits Act), RA 6426 (Foreign Currency Deposit Act), RA 8791 (General Banking Law), RA 9510 (Credit Information System Act), RA 9160 (Anti-Money Laundering Act),RA 10173 (Data Privacy Act), each as amended or supplemented from time to time, other applicable laws and regulations, court order, and jurisprudence.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
When you access and use our websites and electronic platforms, we may collect, and process non-personal data as follows:
- We may use web and data analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics) to collect information about the visitors accessing our websites. We collect information on the IP addresses, geolocation, frequency, pages accessed, web browser information, and previous sites accessed prior to visiting the Bank’s website. The Bank may use such information to improve the performance and content of its websites.
- We use strictly necessary cookies, which are needed for our website to operate as reasonably.
expected, and performance or analytic cookies, which collect passive information about your use of our website. The Bank may use such information to improve the performance and content of its websites.
- When you install and use our mobile banking facility, we collect relevant device information such as the device’s operating system to secure the use of our mobile banking facility.
- When you enable your location services in our online banking platforms, we collect the location reported by your device to provide you with location-based services, including but not limited to finding nearby ATM or Chinabank branches.
Data Privacy Rights
Under the Data Privacy Act of 2012, the rights of the data subject are specifically set forth in Section 16 of the said law. As a data subject, you are afforded the following rights in relation to your personal data under the Data Privacy Act of 2012:
- To be informed that your personal data will be collected and how it will be processed;
- To have reasonable access to your personal data held by the Bank, subject to restrictions applied to us as a Bank and a company operating in the Philippines by certain laws and regulations;
- To have any error in your personal data corrected or to have your personal data updated subject to the necessary controls to protect your account and personal data;
- To have your personal data erased or blocked from our system if said data is incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained, used for unauthorized purposes or no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected, without prejudice to the Bank’s continuous processing for commercial, operational, legal, and regulatory purposes;
- To object to the processing of your personal data;
- To lodge a complaint before the National Privacy Commission; and
- To be indemnified for damages sustained due to inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained, or unauthorized use of your personal data.
You shall notify us in writing, which must be acknowledged by us, if you do not consent to any of the processing described above and/or sharing of said information with our representative officers, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents and accredited third parties/vendors, service providers, or other persons or entities that we may reasonably select.
You may visit your branch of account, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Bank’s Customer Contact Center at (632) 888 55 888.
If you ask us not to send you marketing messages, it may take us a short period of time to update our systems and records to reflect your request, during which time you may continue to receive marketing messages. Even if you tell us not to send you marketing messages, we will continue to use your contact information to provide you with important and/or service-related information, such as but not limited to your usual transaction notifications, updates on your accounts or on the products and services you avail from the Bank, system maintenance, availability of our bank systems and services that may have impact on your banking activities with us, changes to our terms and conditions or if we need to tell you something to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
Please note that the Bank may charge a fee for processing your request/s for access and/or update to your personal data. Such fee depends on the nature, extent and complexity of your request. Information on the processing fee will be made available to you when you make the request.
For any clarifications, inquiries, requests or concerns on this Policy, please visit any of our branches or contact us in any of the following ways:
- Customer Contact Center at +632-888-55-888
- Data Privacy Office: email@example.com
Any change will not be applied to, and will not alter how the Bank handles, previously collected personal data without obtaining your consent, unless required by law or regulation.